Petition to the House of Commons
The Government of Canada is a world defender of human rights;
The Government of Cuba has unleashed a wave of violence against peaceful protesters demanding civil liberties on the streets of Cuba since July 11, 2021;
The Government of Cuba has issued a combat order to military and civilians who support it to fight peaceful demonstrators on the streets; and
The Cuban Government has implemented measures that undermine the precarious quality of life of its citizens; and that these measures are aimed at preventing the organization of peaceful protests and covering up human rights violations by using internet cuts and power outages.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to:
• Call on the Government of Cuba for the immediate cessation of violence and arbitrary arrests against peaceful demonstrators;
• Express the disagreement of the Government of Canada with the order of combat given by the Government of Cuba for individuals and organizations to attack peaceful demonstrators;
• Convey to the Government of Cuba that peaceful expression of political ideas anywhere in the Cuban national territory is a right of the entire Cuban population and not only of those who support the current government;
• Call on the Government of Cuba to cease all violations of rights contained in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), adopted by the United Nations General Assembly;
• Call on the Government of Cuba to cease cuts to electricity and internet aiming to cover up violence against peaceful demonstrators in violations of their constitutional rights; and
• Follow up on the fulfillment of Canada’s requests to the Government of Cuba through its embassy on the island.