Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2021-302
Ottawa, 30 August 2021
Dufferin Communications Inc.
CKJS Winnipeg – Administrative renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the ethnic commercial AM radio programming undertaking CKJS Winnipeg, Manitoba, from 1 September 2021 to 28 February 2022, subject to the same terms and conditions as those in effect under the current licence.
- In Broadcasting Decision 2017-423, the Commission approved an application by Dufferin Communications Inc. (Dufferin) for a broadcasting licence to operate an ethnic commercial specialty FM radio station in Winnipeg to replace its ethnic commercial AM radio station CKJS. The authorization to begin the operation of the FM station was set to expire on 30 November 2019.
- However, the licensee was not ready to begin operations of the FM station by the 30 November 2019 deadline and the Commission granted an extension to the deadline to launch the FM station to 31 August 2020. Consequently, in Broadcasting Decision 2019-132, the Commission also granted a one-year administrative renewal for the licence of CKJS to allow the continued operation of the AM station while the licensee proceeded with the FM conversion.
- On 7 July 2020, the Commission approved an application by Dufferin to change the authorized contours of the FM station. Furthermore, the Commission extended the deadline by which the FM station must commence operations to 30 November 2021.
- Finally, in Broadcasting Decision 2020-300, the Commission administratively renewed CKJS’s licence for one year until 31 August 2021, to take into account the extension to the deadline granted to convert to the FM band.
- The six-month administrative licence renewal granted in this decision will allow CKJS to continue the operation of the AM station while the licensee completes the changes required to implement the FM conversion approved in Broadcasting Decision 2017-423.
- As set out in the appendix to Broadcasting Decision 2017-423, the licensee is authorized to simulcast the programming of the new FM station on CKJS for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operations of the FM station. The licence for CKJS will be revoked at the end of the simulcast period.
- This decision does not dispose of any issues that may arise with respect to the renewal of this licence, including any non-compliance issues.
- CKJS Winnipeg – Administrative renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-300, 25 August 2020
- CKJS Winnipeg – Administrative renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-132, 7 May 2019
- CKJS Winnipeg – Administrative renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-315, 24 August 2018
- CKJS Winnipeg – Conversion to the FM band, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-423, 30 November 2017
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: