Convicted – Jason Morrison
Court Location – Belleville
Description of Offence – The conviction against Jason Morrison relates to failing to comply with an Environmental Compliance Approval contrary to Sec.186(3) of the Environmental Protection Act.
Date of Offence – October 8, 2019
Date of Conviction – April 11, 2022
Penalty Imposed – Jason Morrison was convicted of three violations under the Environmental Protection Act and was fined a total of $4,000, plus a victim fine surcharge of $1,000 and was given 60 days to pay the fine.
- Jason Morrison is a director of Bear Ridge Resort Inc., a cottage and trailer park located at 563 Ridge Road in Coe Hill, Ontario.
- Jason Morrison has an Environmental Compliance Approval for the operation of on-site sewage works.
- On October 8, 2019, a Provincial Officer attended the site to conduct an inspection. Upon conducting a detailed review of records, the Officer observed several non-compliance issues with the monitoring program specified in the Environmental Compliance Approval.
- The non-compliance issues included failing to sample a collection of raw sewage effluent in August and September, failing to sample a drinking water well and three monitoring wells in the summer and fall, and failing to establish background groundwater quality prior to the start-up of the sewage works.
- The ministry’s Environmental Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges which resulted in three convictions for failing to comply with an Environmental Compliance Approval.