Convicted – Galli-Morwick Inc., Glenrio Financing Limited
Court Location – Halton
Description of Offence – The convictions against Galli-Morwick Inc. and Glenrio Financing Limited relate to failing to comply with a Director’s Order contrary to Sec.186(2) of the Environmental Protection Act.
Date of Offence – During the period beginning on or about April 17, 2019, and ending on or about January 7, 2020.
Date of Conviction – March 10, 2022
Penalty Imposed – Galli-Morwick Inc. and Glenrio Financing Limited were convicted of one violation each under the Environmental Protection Act and were fined a total of $11,000, plus a victim fine surcharge of $2,750 and were given 12 months to pay the fine.
- In 2006, Glenrio Financing Limited purchased a property on Guelph Line in Burlington through foreclosure.
- On January 31, 2018, Galli-Morwick Inc. purchased the site from Glenrio Financing Limited and at the time of the convictions, Galli-Morwick Inc. was the site owner.
- A dry-cleaning business had formerly operated at the site since about 1958 and had ceased operation before Glenrio purchased the site.
- Between 2006 and 2017, limited groundwater monitoring revealed soil and groundwater contamination associated with the former dry-cleaning business.
- On September 14, 2018, the ministry issued Provincial Officer's Order No. 6535-B4KSGR to the defendants which outlined actions required to address off-site soil and groundwater contamination.
- The Provincial Officer’s Order was appealed to the Director, which resulted in Director's Order No. 6535-B4KSGR-1 being issued to the same Ordered Parties on April 3, 2019.
- As of January 7, 2020, actions required by the Director’s Order were still outstanding.
- The ministry’s Environmental Investigations and Enforcement Branch investigated and laid charges which resulted in one conviction for each of the two defendants. The convictions were for failing to comply with a Director’s Order, specifically section 9 which required an “Acknowledgement and Direction” form prepared by legal counsel for the purpose of registering the Director’s Order on title to the property by April 16, 2019.