Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-121
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 10 January 2022
Ottawa, 6 May 2022
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Québec and Chibougamau, Quebec
Public record: 2021-0840-7
CBVE-FM Québec and its transmitter CBVC-FM Chibougamau – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to subsection 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as the Commission deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in subsection 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to change the authorized contours of CBVC-FM Chibougamau, Quebec (Radio One), a rebroadcasting transmitter of the English-language radio programming undertaking CBVE-FM Québec, Quebec, by changing the transmitter class from A to B, increasing the maximum effective radiated power (ERP) from 420 to 29,939 watts, increasing the average ERP from 420 to 11,837 watts, replacing the existing non-directional antenna with a new directional antenna, and by decreasing the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 110.5 to 108.5 metres. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The Commission did not received any interventions in regard to this application.
- When requesting technical changes, licensees are generally required to demonstrate a technical or economic need. In regard to the present application, the licensee stated that the proposed amendments will allow it to replace a timeworn antenna and to maintain an excellent coverage in the region of Chibougamau. It also stated that this antenna will be co-located with the one for CBJ-FM-1 Chibougamau (ICI Radio-Canada Première). It added that the changes to these parameters aim to cover the population surrounding Chapais, Quebec, and therefore the eliminate need for the AM rebroadcasting transmitter CBMD Chapais. Once the changes have been implemented, extensive testing will be performed to ensure that coverage in Chapais is adequate before closing the rebroadcasting transmitter CBMD Chapais.
- The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has demonstrated a technical need for the requested technical changes.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 6 May 2024. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
- As set out in section 16 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees have obligations relating to the broadcast of emergency alert messages received from the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System. In regard to the changes to CBVC-FM’s authorized contours resulting from the implementation of the technical changes approved in this decision, the Commission reminds the licensee that continued compliance with section 16 of the Regulations may require that any alert broadcast decoders (e.g., ENDEC) used for the purposes of broadcasting emergency alert messages on CBVE-FM, or on any rebroadcasting transmitters that may appear on the broadcasting licence for that station, be reprogrammed to properly account for the new authorized contours.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: