Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-131
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 16 March 2022
Ottawa, 17 May 2022
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Edmonton and Edson, Alberta
Public record: 2022-0102-8
CBX Edmonton and its transmitter CBXD-FM Edson – Technical changes
- The Commission has the authority, pursuant to subsection 9(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), to issue licences for such terms not exceeding seven years and subject to such conditions related to the circumstances of the licensee as the Commission deems appropriate for the implementation of the broadcasting policy set out in subsection 3(1) of the Act, as well as to amend those conditions on application of the licensee.
- Consistent with this authority, the Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to change the authorized contours of CBXD-FM Edson, Alberta, a rebroadcasting transmitter of the English-language AM radio programming undertaking CBX Edmonton, Alberta (Radio One). Specifically, the licensee proposed to increase the effective radiated power from 50 to 274 watts, thus changing the class from low power to A, and to decrease the effective height of the antenna above average terrain from 11.5 to -6.7 metres. All other technical parameters will remain unchanged.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this application.
- When requesting technical changes, licensees are generally required to demonstrate a technical or economic need. The licensee stated that the requested changes are necessary in order to improve Radio One coverage in the region of Edson and its vicinity. The Commission is satisfied that the licensee has demonstrated a technical need for the requested technical changes.
- Pursuant to subsection 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The licensee must implement the technical changes by no later than 17 May 2024. To request an extension, the licensee must submit a written request to the Commission at least 60 days before that date, using the form available on the Commission’s website.
- As set out in section 16 of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees have obligations relating to the broadcast of emergency alert messages received from the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination System. In regard to the changes to CBXD-FM’s authorized contours resulting from the implementation of the technical changes approved in this decision, the Commission reminds the licensee that continued compliance with section 16 of the Regulations may require that any alert broadcast decoders (e.g., ENDEC) used for the purposes of broadcasting emergency alert messages on CBX, or on any rebroadcasting transmitters that may appear on the broadcasting licence for that station, be reprogrammed to properly account for the new authorized contours.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: