Petition to the Government of Canada
Canada is recognized for its historical leadership in humanitarian actions in the global community;
Canadians stand in support of both Ukrainians in the face of the devastating and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine by Russian President Vladimir Putin, and Afghans experiencing unprecedented levels of poverty, food insecurity, economic instability, lack of basic health services, and internal displacement, as a result of the Taliban’s brutal violence, persecution, human rights abuses, and other violations, especially against women, girls, vulnerable ethnic and religious groups, including Hazaras, the LGBTQ+ community, and human rights advocates;
While Canadians fully support the special immigration measures to Ukraine nationals so that they may get to safety expeditiously, we strongly oppose the government’s discriminatory practice of not applying equitable treatment to Afghans who are also in urgent need to get to safety; and
There are many small businesses in Canada who wish to support Afghans by offering them employment in Canada.
We, the undersigned, citizens or residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Extend the same special immigration measures to Ukrainian nationals to Afghans;
2. Allow Afghans in third countries, including refugees in Ukrainian refugee camps, to seek refuge in Canada;
3. Waive the UNHCR refugee determination;
4. Allow Afghans in Afghanistan apply for the special immigration measures; and
5. Establish a special work permit program for Afghans to meet Canada’s labour skill shortage.