A $2.1-million investment under the Alberta Immigrant Mentorship Innovation Grant will help eight organizations deliver career mentorship programs that help newcomers find meaningful employment based on their work experience, education and skills.
“As an immigrant to Canada, I recognize the important role that mentorship can play in helping newcomers thrive when establishing their careers in a new country. These projects will help newcomers match with professional mentors and build connections to increase their employability while strengthening Alberta’s workforce with the skills and talent to support businesses across the province.”
These projects will deliver mentorship programs throughout Alberta, including in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Athabasca, Grande Prairie, Peace River, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.
One project will be provincewide and focus on mentorship opportunities for international medical graduates.
“These mentorship projects will help break down barriers that newcomers often face when first trying to build their careers in Alberta by helping them understand how to apply their professional skills and experience in a Canadian context. As we move forward in our economic recovery, we will continue to invest in Alberta’s newcomers so they can put their skills and talent to work in jobs that support local communities across the province.”
The Immigrant Mentorship Innovation Grant is part of Alberta’s Recovery Plan to remove barriers so newcomers can bring their entrepreneurial drive and skills to Alberta to start new businesses and help employers address labour shortages.
Projects terms will range for up to three years until March 2025 to ensure organizations can provide long-term mentorship opportunities to newcomers.
- Alberta International Medical Graduate Association (AIMGA) – International Medical Graduate Mentorship Program
- One-on-one mentorship opportunities for international medical graduates to AIMGA’s services, leveraging the experience of successful international medical graduates.
- Grant amount: $298,980
- Windmill Microlending: Arrive and Thrive Alberta
- An innovative mentorship program to improve the economic and labour market integration of Alberta newcomers.
- Grant amount: $256,500
- Calgary Catholic Immigration Society – Mentorship for Integration in Rural Communities
- A career mentorship program for skilled newcomers in Brooks and Claresholm.
- Grant amount: $264,214
- Saamis Immigration Services Association – Medicine Hat and Area Mentoring Partnership
- A career mentorship program for skilled newcomers in Medicine Hat.
- Grant amount: $237,497
- Grande Prairie Council for Lifelong Learning – GP Career Mentorship for Newcomers
- A career mentorship program for skilled newcomers in Grande Prairie.
- Grant amount: $126,862
- Igbo Cultural Association of Edmonton – ICAE Mentorship Project
- Providing mentorship opportunities to skilled and newly landed Igbo immigrants by linking them to mentors in their field.
- Grant amount: $250,000
- Nasipitnons in Edmonton – Welcome to Alberta Mentorship Project
- Helping newcomers in Alberta through mentorship in finding a job related to their field or chosen occupation.
- Grant amount: $205,000
- Edmonton Region Immigrant Employment Council – Community Career Mentorship Programs
- Creating a rapid start model to grow mentorship opportunities in rural and small urban Alberta centres and build a rural mentoring community of practice.
- Grant amount: $299,684