Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament assembled
Missing and murdered Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit is an ongoing genocide in Canada, as declared in the Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls, released on June 3, 2019;
The lack of urgency in response to missing Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit cases is alarming and needs immediate change; and
These abuses and violations are the root causes of the colonial violence against Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit that force them to confront daily violence, harm or trauma, while perpetrators remain unaccountable.
We, the undersigned, Canadian citizens and residents, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Immediately implement #5.0 to 5.25 – Calls from the Government and #9.0 to 9.11 – Calls for Police Services from the 231 Calls for Justice;
2. Make a permanent commitment to immediately respond to missing reports of Indigenous women, men, children, and two-spirit;
3. Develop a national action plan in partnership with News Media to address lack of coverage of missing persons cases of Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit, including the vulnerable;
4. Collect all evidence related to missing Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit cases immediately;
5. Organize search parties for missing Indigenous women, men, children and two-spirit in a timely manner; and
6. Work with all levels of government to fund the expansion of community-based security models that include Indigenous perspectives and people, such as local peacekeeper officers or programs such as the Bear Clan Patrol and Butterflies in Spirit.