04/08/2022, 09: 15

.. ti Queensland ~ Government

Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government

Home >Homes and housing >Eligibility for housing >Check your eligibility

Check your eligibility Social housing is available to provide housing stability to vulnerable people who aren't able to

access and sustain housing in the private market. You must meet all of the eligibility criteria to

receive social housing.

1. Australian citizenship and residency status

You (the person signing the tenancy agreement) need to either be:

• an Australian citizen

• a permanent resident of Australia

• have a Permanent Protection Visa or a Resolution of Status Visa

• qualify for permanent residency status through agreements between Australia and another


• have a Safe Haven Enterprise visa

• have a Bridging Visa and have applied for a Protection Visa or a Resolution of Status Visa

• on a Temporary Protection Visa; or

• on a Bridging Visa if you previously held a Temporary Protection Visa which has expired.

If you have applied for permanent residency, a Permanent Protection Visa or a Resolution of Status

Visa, but are not yet a permanent resident, you can still apply for social housing.

2. Queensland residency

You (the person signing the tenancy agreement) must live in Queensland. We may make an

exception if you're applying from another Australian state or territory and can provide us with

evidence that you are moving to Queensland.

3. Property

You and all household members must not own or part-own property within Australia or overseas,


• a residential home (house, flat, unit or townhouse)

• vacant land including rural property

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 1/6

04/08/2022, 09:15 Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government

• manufactured or transportable home

• improved or unimproved commercial or industrial property

• property owned through a Property Trust.

Some exceptions may apply, for example:

• in the case of domestic and family violence, marriage breakdown, extreme hardship

• if the vacant land is in a natural disaster area

• if you own or part-own property and need social housing on a temporary basis.

Talk to your nearest Housing Service Centre (httQs://www.gJ.!igov.au/housingLRublic-community.:

housing/housing-service-centre). about your situation as you may still be eligible.

4. Liquid assets limit

The liquid assets of all applicants and household members added together must not equal more


• single-person household: $116,375.00

• 2 or more household members: $148,625.00

Liquid assets include but are not limited to:

• money

• shares, fixed investments, managed funds

• property trusts

• superannuation payouts (if the person has reached the preservation age)

• the value of caravans, mobile homes and live-aboard boats.

5. Independent income

You must earn an independent income in Queensland-at least one person who will sign the

tenancy agreement must:

• receive an independent income of $226.81 or more every week

• have received this income for (at least) the 4 weeks leading up to applying for social housing.

Any other household member who has no income, a very low income or cannot identify or verify

their income will be assessed as having an income based on the equivalent Centrelink payment.

The equivalent Centrelink payment is the payment that would match your circumstances even if

you do not qualify for or meet Centrelink's payment requirements. The equivalent Centrelink

payment is based on:

• your age

https://wVvW.qld .gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 2/6

04/08/2022, 09 :15 Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government

• marital status

• whether you live at, or away from home

• whether you have children.

If you hold a Temporary Protection Visa or are in a correctional facility:

.( httr2s ://www.gkLgov.au/hous i ngf RU bl i c-com mun itv.-hous i ng&ljgi bi I itv.-a RR.lY.i ng-for-

hou s i ng/leavi ng:r2ri son-detention)., and do not yet have an independent income, you may apply for

housing assistance.

If you're eligible, you will be added to the housing register-you will not be offered housing until you

receive an independent income.

6. Household income

You will need to show evidence of the total income for all people in your household before any

deductions such as tax and superannuation are taken out-this is called your gross weekly income.

Some income, such as certain payments from Centrelink, are not included when assessing a

household's income.

To check if a payment you receive is included when we assess your eligibility, contact y:our local

housing service centre (httr2s://www.gld.gov.au/housi ngfr2u bl ic-commu n itv.-hous i ng/housi ng:


The household's combined gross weekly assessable income must be less than:


• single person, no children


• single person with 1 child

• couple with no children

• 2 single people


• single person with 2 children

• couple with 1 child

• couple and 1 single person

• 2 single people and 1 child

• 3 single people


https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 3/6

04/08/2022, 09: 15 Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government

• single person with 3 or more children

• couple with 2 children

• 3 single people and 1 child

• 2 single people with 2 children

• 4 single people


• couple with 3 or more children

• 5 single people

• 1 couple with 2 children and 1 single person

• 2 couples with 1 or more children

• 1 couple with 1 single person and 2 or more children

• other households with 5 or more people including at least 2 adults

7. Wellbeing

You must have a need to move because your current housing does not meet your needs, and have

multiple and complex factors that mean you are unable to independently access and sustain stable


Need to move reasons include:

• being homeless or at risk of homelessness

• unsuitable location of current housing

• physical amenity of current housing does not meet household needs

• rent in current housing is unaffordable

Complex wellbeing factors include:

• being long term unemployed or experiencing periods of unemployment, being unable to work

with high living expenses, or being employed and earning within the income eligibility limits

for your household, and

• have a long term serious medical issue/disability, and/or

• currently experiencing homelessness or have a history of being homeless on at least one other

occasion within the last 3 years.

• have had a tenancy that ended due to being evicted two or more times in the last three years,


• have had multiple unsuccessful private rental applications, and/or

• there is no supply of appropriate housing in the private rental market

Applying for housing assistance

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 4/6

04/08/2022, 09:15 Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government

Contact your nearest Housing Service Centre (httQs://www.gld.gov.au/housing/Qublic-community..:

housing/housing-service-centre). to talk about your housing and wellbeing needs, including:

• the types of housing assistance you are eligible for

• where you want to live and how many bedrooms you're entitled to

• any specific housing features you or your household members may require.

We will advise which documents you need to bring to the interview.

It is an offence under the Housing Act 2003 to knowingly provide false or misleading information

that may influence decisions about your eligibility for housing services.

Helpful resources

Ai:mlY. for housing_(httQs://www.gld.gov.au/housing/Qublic-communitv.-housing/eligibility..:

2RR.l.Y.i ng-for-hous i ng/a RR.l.Y.i ng-for-hous i ng)_

Waiting for housing_(httQs://www.g1£Lgov.au/housing/Qublic-communitv.-housing@igibi1ity..:


Your housing offer (httQs://www.gl£Lgov.au/housing/Qublic-communitv.-housing/eligibi1ity..:


Past housing debts (httQs://www.gld.gov.au/housing/Qublic-communitv.-housing/eligibility..:


Maintenance debts (httQs://www.gld.gov.au/housing/Qublic-communitv.-housing/Qublic-


HelR with Rroof of income (httQs://www.gl£Lgov.au/housing/Qublic-community..:


Centre link Rent Assistance

(http://www.humanservices.gov.au/ customer/services/ centre I ink/rent-assistance)

National Redress Scheme (htt12s://www.chde.gl£Lgov.au/about/initiatives/national-redress-


Last updated: 3 August 2020 I (/ /crcativccornmons.org/1 icenses/by/4.0/)


Disclaimer (httQs://www.g!.9.agov.au/legal/disclaimer)_

Dri\/~r\/ /htt n c- /1'111\fo. / l A/ n Ir-I nr,,\1 -:i,1 1 /lon--:i,l / n ri\1':'lr\l\

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 5/6

04/08/2022, 09: 15 Check your eligibility I Homes and housing I Queensland Government .!......!..!..!Y-\~~.,:,.11 vv vv vv.~ ~ 6 ~ 6 ~ ~1 1 v a\... Y.I.

Right to information (httr2s://www.gld.gov.au/about/rights-accountability/ right-to-information).

© The State of Queensland 1995-2022

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/public-community-housing/eligibility-applying-for-housing/eligibility-for-housing/check-your-eligibility 6/6