Petition to the Government of Canada
Canada’s travel and tourism industry was hit first by the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been hit hardest, and it will take the longest to recover;
Policies implemented by the Government of Canada in response to the COVID-19 pandemic are forcing many businesses to temporarily and permanently close through no fault of their own;
These current policies are creating a serious unemployment issue in Canada that would otherwise not exist, if these decisions were based on evidence, science, and facts;
The Government of Canada has delayed too long in providing sector-specific support and relief to those hardest hit travel and tourism sectors; and
Public confidence and demand for travel domestically and internationally has plummeted to an all-time low since March 2020.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Present a sector-specific tourism recovery plan on or before the date of the 2021 Federal Budget;
2. Ensure this tourism recovery plan addresses the specific needs of the many travel and tourism sectors across Canada;
3. Ensure this tourism recovery plan supports the urgent and complete development, implementation, and deployment of Health Canada approved vaccines and rapid testing devices;
4. Ensure this tourism recovery plan includes sector-specific health guidelines, which enable sectors to resume work operations in a safe and responsible manner; and
5. Use this tourism recovery plan as a tool to begin restoring public confidence in travel and tourism.